Help on a texas instruments pci7420 cardbus

Mårten Thomasson marten.thomasson at bredband.net
Wed Sep 28 14:06:36 EDT 2005

High, thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Quoting Pavel Roskin:

> Are you sure it's based on Atheros chipset?

Yes I'm sure, so far that I specifically ordered a card based on the atheros
chipset.

> And what is 06:02.0?  Does lspci output change if you remove the card?
No it doesn't

> Of course, if the OS doesn't see the card, drivers cannot see it and
register the network device.

Yes, I've come to understand that if the card doesn't appear in lspci, it's
no use checking iwconfig or ifconfig.

> Apparently there is too much bogus information on the net.  It would be
more useful to follow only official
> documentation and complain if it's incomplete.

True. It just takes a while to find the right channels :-)

> config.opts is totally irrelevant.  CardBus is seen by the OS as
hot-plugged PCI, so CardBus device drivers are > PCI drivers, which are not
managed by cardmgr.

Ok, this leeds me in the right direction, then I don't have to spend time
with that config at least :-)

>> 06:02.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG (rev
>> 05)
> This looks like a CardBus card, and I see it detected by the driver in the
kernel log.
Yes that’s true, it's the built in intel ipw2200bg wireless card. But I want
to be able to connect an external antenna to the card and therefore bought
this Oricono atheros chipset card.
>> device "ath_pci"
>> 	class "network"
>> 	module "ath_pci"

>You probably have read too much garbage on the net.  This has never worked
and will never work.  Again, cardmgr >doesn't manage PCI drivers (and in
Linux 2.6.13, even PCMCIA drivers can work without cardmgr).

Ok.

Still stuck though. It appears that the problem is related to the actual
cardbus as such. When I insert another card, a netgear, I still don't get
any entry in lspci. Any ideas?

Regards,

Marten