Very bad pcmcia regression

Nicolas e.conti at gmx.net
Thu Sep 8 15:30:32 EDT 2005

Hello,

I use Debian SID on my Thinkpad 600E for years. I use PCMCIA to use a
Xircom ethernet card, and to transfer pictures from memory cards. I use
a simple 16bits PCMCIA compact-flash reader.

Some weeks ago, I had a bad surprise: the compact-flash PCMCIA reader
does not work anymore. In fact, it's not even recognized by cardctl
info.

I tested the PCMCIA compact-flash on another laptop, and it worked fine.

Therefore, I assumed something changed on my system.

I compiled my 2.4.24 kernel some years ago. It's a specially patched
version with ipsec. I don't want to update that kernel.

Perhaps another pcmcia-cs version was installed on my system when I
upgrade my Debian SID.

The Xircom cardbus card is always recognized, and works fine.

I assume the problem is with 16bits PCMCIA cards.

I'm really disappointed with that regression. I searched the
mailing-list for information, and I did not find anything useful (I read
all the 2005 archives!). That's a very bad regression, I hope it would
be easy to find information about the way to solve that problem.

What could I do? Do you guys know where the problem comes from?

Thank you.

Nicolas.

--
-- Kawasaki-Nikon-Linux ---  ._ /\_>