PCMCIA not working on hp dv4000

Paul Webster pjwebster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 17:19:50 EDT 2005

Bugger, forgot to "Reply To All":

Ah, it sounds like you have a TI "3-in-1" cardbus, firewire and
"UltraMedia" controller

On my system, an HP zd8004AP laptop, lspci turns up:
0b:00.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments Texas Instruments
PCIxx21/x515 Cardbus Controller
0b:00.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments Texas Instruments OHCI
Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
0b:00.3 Unknown mass storage controller: Texas Instruments Texas
Instruments PCIxx21 Integrated FlashMedia Controller
0b:00.4 Class 0805: Texas Instruments Texas Instruments PCI6411,
PCI6421, PCI6611, PCI6621, PCI7411, PCI7421, PCI7611, PCI7621 Secure
Digital (SD)

and lspci -n
0b:00.0 Class 0607: 104c:8031
0b:00.2 Class 0c00: 104c:8032
0b:00.3 Class 0180: 104c:8033
0b:00.4 Class 0805: 104c:8034

Just this weekend I had started looking into getting the "Integrated
FlashMedia Controller" working (since I have Memory Sticks on hand)
and am 90% sure that I have a TI PCI7421 chip. The documentation can
be found on TI's website
(http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/pci7421.html) and coveres
the PCI7621/7611/7421/7411 chips. The documentation states that the
Flash Media Controller function of the chip "controls communication
with [the] Flash Media cards through a passive PC Card adapter or
through a dedicated Flash Media socket". In other words, if I get the
PC Card interface working, chances are I'll get the FlashMedia
controller working (by my understanding of the PCI devices found, the
MS interface is via the passive adapter, while the SD card reader is
through a dedicated socket)

Having no PC Card or Firewire devices to test, and the fact that their
PCI Ids seem to be properly identified, I had assumed that those
facets of the chip were supported under linux. I'll start looking down
this path now. Although I have no prior experience in linux driver
development, I'm armed with a new 3rd ed. copy of "Linux Device
Drivers" and am willing to take any hints or advice on where to start.