Anonymous Memory

dee dee at diversity-radio.net
Mon May 30 17:23:43 EDT 2005

Thanks very much Jar for trying to help me here.

Unfortunately i'm not sure what to edit in my /etc/init.d/pcmcia script to
make this work, or why it should be a problem.

At the end, as you say, the card is found - but not successfully loaded
(the unsuccessful loading bleeps occur, and messages about this)

I concur with you, it seems like something is loading the card twice,
somehow in the wrong order or something, but i can't figure out where.
I also don't really see what is asking for the yenta socket to be loaded.

Initially i had included i82092 as i thought it had been in my previous
(and functioning) kernel, but now i've got so confused i now longer know.
as i said, though whether i include this via modconf or not has no real
impact.

can anyone help us any further? Its all a bit too much for me to figure
out by myself what is possibly wrong/incompatible with the init script.
dee

On Mon, 30 May 2005, Jar wrote:

> I try to explain to myself what happens here. PCMCIA guys can correct if I get this
> wrong.
>
> You first load the pcmcia_core via your pcmcia init script (/etc/init.d/pcmcia?)
> > pcmcia_core            40320   0  [xirc2ps_cs i82092 ds i82365]
>
> Then the i82365 socket driver via your pcmcia init script
> > i82365                 11780   2
>
> Then the ds module via your pcmcia init script
> > ds                      5940   2  [xirc2ps_cs]
>
> Then you load different socket driver again. You should comment out this in your
> pcmcia scripts/setup files (where this has been loaded?). Maybe the "ds: no socket
> drivers loaded!" and "cs: unable to map card memory!" messages in dmesg is caused by
> this??
> > i82092                  5992   0  (unused)
>
> Finally the correct driver for you pcmcia card is found! and loaded. This should
> call /etc/network script, which will load the network (ethX) up. The network
> interface ethX should be configured (ip, mask etc.) elsewhere. Then you should see
> the etX with ifconfig.
> > xirc2ps_cs             11216   0  (unused)
>
> Maybe you should check the /etc/init.d/pcmcia file. Your /etc/default/pcmcia file
> seems to be ok.
>
> PCMCIA=yes
> PCIC=i82365
> PCIC_OPTS=
> CORE_OPTS=
> CARDMGR_OPTS=
>
> ..or do you have previously used modules from external pcmcia-cs package and now you
> used the kernel pcmcia and something doesn't match with your scripts?

well maybe, but i have to be honest, its all a bit much for me to figure
out from looking at the init script - extremely grateful if someone can
help debug.