migration from register_chrdev to alloc_chrdev_region causing problems

David Hinds dhinds at sonic.net
Wed Mar 16 12:22:46 EST 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 08:24:29PM +0530, Peter D'Costa wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I used to use register_chrdev in order to allocate my major numbers,
> but after LDD 3, I changed them to alloc_chrdev_region in the __init
> function itself. The problem now is that the script that I use to
> create the device nodes is not getting triggered and hence cardmgr
> reports a "get dev info on socket 0 failed: No such device" on
> insertion.

This can't be the only change in your driver; cardmgr etc could not
care less how you choose your major device number.  The script is not
running because cardmgr is not able to retrieve any device information
from your driver (the dev_node stuff).  I would start by figuring out
what else has changed in your driver.

-- Dave