migration from register_chrdev to alloc_chrdev_region causing problems

Peter D'Costa dcosta.peter at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 09:54:29 EST 2005

Dear all,

I used to use register_chrdev in order to allocate my major numbers,
but after LDD 3, I changed them to alloc_chrdev_region in the __init
function itself. The problem now is that the script that I use to
create the device nodes is not getting triggered and hence cardmgr
reports a "get dev info on socket 0 failed: No such device" on
insertion.

The driver's attach function is called on insertion and returns
successfully. This is immediately succeeded by the detach function.

What am I doing wrong? Please help...

Thanks,
Peter