Problems with serial_cs and kernel 2.6

Mathias Adam a2 at adamis.de
Tue Mar 1 15:15:37 EST 2005

Hello,

I hope this list addresses the serial_cs module; if not please point me
to where it's supported...

I'm trying to install a Socket Bluetooth Compactflash Card (Revision H)
in my Thinkpad X21. This card has a UART-like interface (should be a
16C950) and so I need to use the serial_cs module before BlueZ can
access it (over the serial module).

However this doesn't work with kernel 2.6 (I have tried 2.6.9, 2.6.10
and 2.6.11-rc5) while it works fine with kernel 2.4.29. As I read on the
web this seems to be a common problem with some PCMCIA modems and kernel
2.6 (all those cards run fine with 2.4).
The serial_cs module seems to load ok (according to dmesg logs it gets
/dev/ttyS1) but when I want to attach BlueZ with this device its
initialization times out. The BlueZ developer suggests that this is a
serial_cs problem.

I found in the kernel sources that serial_cs.c is version 1.134 for
kernel 2.6.10 while it is version 1.138 for kernel 2.4.29.

Now the questions:
  - are there plans to put the newer serial_cs.c into kernel 2.6?
    (of course this is only relevant if the newer version would solve the
    problem)
  - if not, what other changes between 2.4 and 2.6 could cause this?
  - or does anybody even have a solution already?

Thanks for advice
Mathias