Toshiba ToPIC developer info

Russell King rmk+pcmcia at arm.linux.org.uk
Wed Jun 22 05:16:21 EDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 08:58:15PM -0500, Ryan Underwood wrote:
> Ok, this now appears to allow Cardbus cards to work.  Unfortunately the
> 16-bit card doesn't work unless the BIOS is set to PCIC Compatible mode,
> which means I can't use a Cardbus and 16-bit card at the same time as
> with 2.4 and pcmcia-cs.  I also need mem=64M so that I can use uncached
> RAM as slram device.

Unfortunately, the kernel needs to know how much RAM you really have so
it can properly allocate memory resources.  Lying to it (by passing mem=)
is generally a recipe for disaster.

However, if slram is making use of some area of memory, it really should
reserve it.  That's a slram bug - please report it to the mtd mailing
list.

Even with slram fixed, there remains the danger of something trying to
allocate a resource _before_ slram claims its resource...  I just hate
the entire mem= mess entirely for this very reason.  It's completely
unsafe.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 Serial core