Building serial_cs.ko

Russell King rmk+pcmcia at arm.linux.org.uk
Sat Jul 30 16:50:42 EDT 2005

On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 04:28:18PM -0400, Nathan M wrote:
> Running 2.6.7 from kernel.org and using a patch from Compulab called
> diff-2.6.7-armcore.  To obtain the patch:
> GoTo: http://www.compulab.co.il/armgx-developer.htm -> Download: Linux
> - kernel, drivers and patches -> Unzip -> Open: /2.6.7 -> Unzip:
> diff-2.6.7-armcore.gz and there's the patch file.

Got it, and ah.  This is where it gets impossible.  The PXA driver
re-uses the 8250 drivers namespace (major 4 minor 64 upwards,
/dev/ttyS0 to ttyS63).

The effect of that is that the PXA serial driver and 8250 serial
drivers can not co-exist.  This means if you're using a PXA device
you have an exclusive choice of using the on-board serial ports
_OR_ supporting 8250-compatible PCMCIA modems.

There's no way round this other than by changing the namespace which
the PXA driver uses, which means you're going to have to add extra
device nodes to your root filesystem and alter the device nodes which
your getty's listen on.  All gets rather complicated I'm afraid.

(I did try to explain this issue to the PXA folk, and they came up
with a horrible set of patches which _hacked_ around the problem,
introducing special cases... which I quite rightfully ignored.)

In other words, what you're suffering from is a stalemate situation
between the PXA folk and me.  Sorry.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 Serial core