Building serial_cs.ko

Nathan M ngmlinux at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 16:28:18 EDT 2005

> .ko are 2.6 kernel modules.  .o are object files.  .mod.o are object
> files containing the additional module information which makes up the
> .ko.  Basically, .ko = .o + .mod.o.

ok so basically if I have the *.ko, there's no need for the *.o or
*.mod.o files.  Got it.

Running 2.6.7 from kernel.org and using a patch from Compulab called
diff-2.6.7-armcore.  To obtain the patch:
GoTo: http://www.compulab.co.il/armgx-developer.htm -> Download: Linux
- kernel, drivers and patches -> Unzip -> Open: /2.6.7 -> Unzip:
diff-2.6.7-armcore.gz and there's the patch file.  I've noticed a lot
of the utlities & drivers Compulab has provided with 2.6.7 are older
versions for 2.4.xx and are compiled with glibc 2.2.2 rather than
2.2.3 + (the image included 2.2.2 not 2.2.3 as well), which prevents
apps like modprobe from functioning in 2.6.7.  Hopefully Compulab has
an updated image is in the works.  Any ideas as to how to resolve this
in the meantime?  I can probably safely rebuild my kernel and reflash
it with the needed modules included, as compared to how I simply
copied these modules to the board after cross compiling them on my dev
machine.  Or is there a greater issue at hand?

-Nathan