pcmciautils and auto mount?

Dominik Brodowski linux at dominikbrodowski.net
Thu Jul 7 17:28:35 EDT 2005

Hi,

> Using files like ide.opts, network.opts and wireless.opts under
> /etc/pcmcia/ the cardmgr configured an inserted card automagically.
>
> Now I played with linux-2.6.13-rc1 and pcmciautils.
>
> My cards ard detected and the appropriate modules loaded.

Excellent.

> But how could I
> automount and ide card or autoconfigure a network card?

Using "hotplug" in one of its variants (hotplug, hotplug-ng, diethotplug(?)
and so on). For network interfaces, a script (which you probably need to
adapt slightly depending on your distribution or configuration) is already
included in the hotplug package ( etc/hotplug/net.agent ), a similar one
should be easy to write for IDE - ide.agent. Also check the udev
configuration e.g. to properly name interfaces depending on what you like.

This is the proper _generic_ way to do such stuff, as before you had to
configure things differently depending on whether you inserted a 16-bit card
(then /etc/pcmcia/*.opts ) or 32-bit cards (then, e.g. on gentoo,
/etc/conf.d/net ). Oh, and in fact, these scripts already were up and running
[and causing some headaches] before the very recent changes to pcmcia, so
you _should_ be at least somewhat backwards compatible.

Thanks,