PXA2xx pcmcia to compact flash on 2.6.13

John Heil armdev at scsoftware.sc-software.com
Fri Dec 16 22:43:54 EST 2005

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Russell King wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 05:25:08AM -0800, John Heil wrote:
> > >
> > > Take a look at pxa2xx_mainstone.c.
> > >
> > > 1. Create a copy of it.
> > > 2. Rename the functions to have appropriate names for your platform.
> > > 3. Remove the code which configures the socket voltages.
> > > 4. Remove the code which claims interrupts for card detection and
> > >    status change.
> > > 5. Remove the code in the socket_state method, and hard code
> > >    state->detect to 1.  Read the remainder from the hardware, or
> > >    hard code them to a sensible state if you can't.
> >
> > Been there, done that, save for setting some other state->'s as follows
> >
> >         state->detect = 1;
> >         state->ready  = 1;
> >         state->bvd1   = 1;
> >         state->bvd2   = 1;
> >         state->vs_3v  = 1;
> >         state->vs_Xv  = 1;
> >         state->wrprot = 0;  /* not available */
> >
> > The Compact Flash was not detected. It just sat there.
>
> What does "it just sat there" mean - the kernel got to the end of the
> boot and paniced because it had no root device because it hadn't
> detected the card?  It stopped at some point half way through the boot?
>
> PCMCIA operates asynchronously to the rest of the system, so it's
> possible in the first case that it's just an initialisation ordering
> problem.

'just sat there' means linux had a functional command prompt etc, and  the
only issue was the inability to access/see the compact flash.

...Today's update... pcmcia now works fine and IDE needs debugging...

I scoped the board and the pcmcia slot it w a logic analyzer I founnd an
inverted direction signal controlling 2 data bus buffers...
a fix to the VHDL solved all the get_x_tuple problems.
Now I'm debugging the IDE probe code... msleep's being issued while
in_atomic()  cool huh :)

Thnx v much,
johnh

-
John Heil
South Coast Software
Custom systems software for UNIX and IBM MVS mainframes
1-714-774-6952
johnhscs at sc-software.com
http://www.sc-software.com