PXA2xx pcmcia to compact flash on 2.6.13

Russell King rmk+pcmcia at arm.linux.org.uk
Fri Dec 16 09:37:20 EST 2005

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 05:25:08AM -0800, John Heil wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Russell King wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 04:58:13AM -0800, John Heil wrote:
> > > The board I've got differs from the reference design in that they
> > > exchanged Intel's FPGA for a dumbed down CPLD w/o hotplug and w/o
> > > the controlling registers Intel had in their FPGA. Thus PCMCIA card
> > > variables such as voltage  etc are fixed.
> >
> > Take a look at pxa2xx_mainstone.c.
> >
> > 1. Create a copy of it.
> > 2. Rename the functions to have appropriate names for your platform.
> > 3. Remove the code which configures the socket voltages.
> > 4. Remove the code which claims interrupts for card detection and
> >    status change.
> > 5. Remove the code in the socket_state method, and hard code
> >    state->detect to 1.  Read the remainder from the hardware, or
> >    hard code them to a sensible state if you can't.
>
> Been there, done that, save for setting some other state->'s as follows
>
>         state->detect = 1;
>         state->ready  = 1;
>         state->bvd1   = 1;
>         state->bvd2   = 1;
>         state->vs_3v  = 1;
>         state->vs_Xv  = 1;
>         state->wrprot = 0;  /* not available */
>
> The Compact Flash was not detected. It just sat there.

What does "it just sat there" mean - the kernel got to the end of the
boot and paniced because it had no root device because it hadn't
detected the card?  It stopped at some point half way through the boot?

PCMCIA operates asynchronously to the rest of the system, so it's
possible in the first case that it's just an initialisation ordering
problem.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 Serial core