Using the "best available" driver

Dominik Brodowski linux at dominikbrodowski.net
Wed Dec 7 16:50:40 EST 2005

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 11:06:08PM +0200, Jar wrote:
> That is enough to me, just need one simple place to blacklist a module
> (instead of deleting it, this is especially important for pcmcia cards
> when the support for old cardmgr is removed.
... which won't happen before 2.6.16 is out, at least ...
> I have pure orinoco cards
> and prism2 cards in daily use) and I can live with this
> many-drivers-to-one-hw thing. I hope Redhat would update that package soon.
>
> Maybe things are changing too rapidly and the Linux Distributions can't
> follow at same speed. /etc/hotplug/blacklist was working with 2.6.12 but
> not with 2.6.14 in FC4.

Probably FC has switched from hotplug to udev...

> I don't know why. I don't even know how and who
> is probing the hw and binding the driver (hotplug,udev,..)

Hardware probing and driver binding is _always_ done in the kernel[*]. Anything
in userspace (/etc/hotplug/blacklist , /etc/modprobe.conf:blacklist , ... )
is purely overriding what the kernel wants to do.

[*] One exception: PCMCIA with pcmcia-cs.