Using the "best available" driver

Jar jar at pcuf.fi
Wed Dec 7 16:06:08 EST 2005

Dominik Brodowski wrote:

> All I know is that module-init-tools-3.2.1 has this feature. Note that
> issuing the command
>
> modprobe "blacklisted_driver"
>
> manually still works -- only the modprobing by the device modalias (i.e. upon
> insertion) is blacklisted.

That is enough to me, just need one simple place to blacklist a module
(instead of deleting it, this is especially important for pcmcia cards
when the support for old cardmgr is removed. I have pure orinoco cards
and prism2 cards in daily use) and I can live with this
many-drivers-to-one-hw thing. I hope Redhat would update that package soon.

Maybe things are changing too rapidly and the Linux Distributions can't
follow at same speed. /etc/hotplug/blacklist was working with 2.6.12 but
not with 2.6.14 in FC4. I don't know why. I don't even know how and who
is probing the hw and binding the driver (hotplug,udev,..). But as an
end user, I don't even need to.

--
Best Regards, Jar