Using the "best available" driver

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Sat Dec 3 02:21:19 EST 2005

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 01:15:25 -0500, Pavel Roskin <proski at gnu.org> wrote:

> I'm getting complaints that orinoco_cs (a driver I maintain) is loaded
> for cards that are also supported by another driver, hostap_cs, which
> supports less cards, but has more features.
>[...]
> But with the new API, it seems like the loaded driver has preference.

I am afraid that if the matching is done completely in kernel, then
your problem is isomorphic to that of USB, and so, you need a kludge
similar to libusual.

The key idea there is to take the matching and binding tables out of
conflicting drivers, and place them in a driver-neutral entity.
Ultimately, it would also be configurable in runtime.

Check drivers/usb/storage/libusual.*  I do not like that code, frankly.
But it seems to work in similar circumstances.

-- Pete