Using the "best available" driver

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Sat Dec 3 01:15:25 EST 2005

Hello!

I'm getting complaints that orinoco_cs (a driver I maintain) is loaded
for cards that are also supported by another driver, hostap_cs, which
supports less cards, but has more features.

When using cardmgr, everything is fine.  Cards supported by orinoco_cs
are in hermes.conf, cards supported by hostap_cs are in hostap.conf.
Since cardmgr includes files in alphabetic order (it can be filesystem
specific) and later settings take preference, everybody is happy - cards
supported by hostap_cs use hostap_cs, other cards use orinoco_cs.

But with the new API, it seems like the loaded driver has preference.
So, if orinoco_cs is loaded, it will be used with cards supported by
hostap_cs.

Is there any way to set priorities for the devices, so that the "best"
driver is bound to the device?

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin