Statically built yenta does not work anymore (in FC5)

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Tue Aug 23 19:57:35 EDT 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:44:04 +0200, Dominik Brodowski <linux at dominikbrodowski.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 10:36:21AM -0700, Pete Zaitcev wrote:

> > If I build yenta_socket into kernel statically, the probing does not
> > happen. The dmesg looks like this:

> If yenta is built-in, you need to "cold-plug" pcmcia_sockets, i.e. make sure
> pcmcia-socket-startup is called for each pcmcia_socket already registered.

Suppose that I found a way to make pcmcia-socket-starupt run on boot.
What would be the right test to decide if I have to run it?
The simplest would be something like this:

find /sys/class/pcmcia/pcmcia_socket -name pcmcia_socket[0-9]* | ...
name=$(basename $name)

However, is it safe to execute pcmcia-socket-startup for every socket
regardless of its type? Fedora runs on x86 and ppc.

I can test if this is yenta by looking through multiply symlinks like
/sys/class/pcmcia_socket/pcmcia_socket0/device/driver
and checking if the driver is yenta_cardbus. But would rather
avoid being too clever.

-- Pete