semantics & syntax of the module options in config.opts

John Lumby johnlumby at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 29 17:14:55 EDT 2005

I have pcmcia-cs-3.2.8 and it is working fine for a Cisco airo 350 PCMCIA
radio card.

However, I noticed that, sometimes, the airo module is quite verbose with
its kernel error msgs and wanted to modify that behaviour with a new option
(analogous to the pc_debug parm of airo_cs).    I added the option to the
module source and installed that ok but am having trouble understanding how
to tell cardmgr to pass this option on the modprobe or insmod or whatever it
does.

I see the commented-out examples of how to do this in config.opts so my
first attempt was simply to add this one line:

module "airo" opts "pc_debug=99"

That resulted in this error:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
Starting PCMCIA services: cardmgr[2068]: error in file './config.opts' line
58: module name 'airo' not found

After perusing the grammar in yacc_config.y I then tried adding one more
line in front:

device "dummy" module "airo"
module "airo" opts "pc_debug=99"

I put "dummy" because I don't know what is expected here if anything.
That did result in getting rid of the error message but (I think) my option
was not passed (not quite sure and would have to add yet more code to find
out).

At this point - can someone please state the definitive rules for specifying
module options in config.opts.

John