Problems getting power to a card...

Adam K Kirchhoff adamk at voicenet.com
Thu Sep 23 19:00:28 EDT 2004

Russell King wrote:

>On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 06:06:54PM -0400, Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
>

>>I have a Compaq Presario 2700 with a Netgear 802.11G card that I'm
>>trying to get working.  I'm using 2.6.8.1 on this laptop, and everything
>>works fine with a variety of 802.11b cards.  However, when inserting
>>this card, all I get from 'cardctl ident' is:
>>
>>Socket 0:
>>   no project info available.
>>
>>I'm assuming that the card just isn't getting power.
>>
>>I see at http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/ that this is a known problem
>>with some laptops, but that apparently no one knows why.
>>

>I think you've misinterpreted the information on the website.  If
>we can't power up a card, we print a kernel message - check whether
>your kernel messages contain:
>
>cs: pcmcia_socket0: unable to apply power
>
>If they don't, you don't have this problem.
>
>Also, you really want to use "cardctl status" and "cardctl config"
>to find out what state the socket is in, not "cardctl indent".
>
>All that "no product info available" means is that for some reason
>we couldn't find a valid "card information structure" on the card.
>Which is actually fairly reasonable for Cardbus cards, and that's
>probably what your 11G card is.
>
>For cardbus cards, they're effectively PCI, so you need to use
>lspci -n and find them in the list of PCI devices.  I think the
>only cards which are presently supported are Prism54 based, which
>have the following PCI vendor and device IDs:
>
>        /* Intersil PRISM Duette/Prism GT Wireless LAN adapter */
>         0x1260, 0x3890,
>        /* 3COM 3CRWE154G72 Wireless LAN adapter */
>         0x10b7, 0x6001,
>        /* Intersil PRISM Indigo Wireless LAN adapter */
>         0x1260, 0x3877,
>        /* Intersil PRISM Javelin/Xbow Wireless LAN adapter */
>         0x1260, 0x3886,
>
>Please note that this list may be incomplete - there may be other
>vendor and device IDs which the prism54 people are simply unaware
>of.  Have a look at drivers/net/wireless/prism54/islpci_hotplug.c
>for driver author contact information.

Ah ha!  That makes sense.  The only thing that doesn't make sense is
that this card woks fine in another 2.6.8.1 Debian unstable system.
What I find interesting is that lspci *does* show:

0000:03:00.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Intersil ISL3890
[Prism GT/ Prism Duette] (rev 01)

That is correct.

scanpci, however, shows:

Harris Semiconductor D-Links DWL-g650 A1

That card, though, isn't inserted at the moment.  I did have a D-Link
DCF-650W inserted previously (and have switched back and forth between
it and the Netgear while trying to debug this problem).

When I have the D-Link card installed, though, it doesn't show up with
either lspci or scanpci.

Still think this is a problem with the prism54 driver, or something else
entirely?

Adam