Problems getting power to a card...

Russell King rmk+pcmcia at arm.linux.org.uk
Thu Sep 23 18:30:36 EDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 06:06:54PM -0400, Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:

> I have a Compaq Presario 2700 with a Netgear 802.11G card that I'm
> trying to get working.  I'm using 2.6.8.1 on this laptop, and everything
> works fine with a variety of 802.11b cards.  However, when inserting
> this card, all I get from 'cardctl ident' is:
>
> Socket 0:
>    no project info available.
>
> I'm assuming that the card just isn't getting power.
>
> I see at http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/ that this is a known problem
> with some laptops, but that apparently no one knows why.

I think you've misinterpreted the information on the website.  If
we can't power up a card, we print a kernel message - check whether
your kernel messages contain:

cs: pcmcia_socket0: unable to apply power

If they don't, you don't have this problem.

Also, you really want to use "cardctl status" and "cardctl config"
to find out what state the socket is in, not "cardctl indent".

All that "no product info available" means is that for some reason
we couldn't find a valid "card information structure" on the card.
Which is actually fairly reasonable for Cardbus cards, and that's
probably what your 11G card is.

For cardbus cards, they're effectively PCI, so you need to use
lspci -n and find them in the list of PCI devices.  I think the
only cards which are presently supported are Prism54 based, which
have the following PCI vendor and device IDs:

        /* Intersil PRISM Duette/Prism GT Wireless LAN adapter */
         0x1260, 0x3890,
        /* 3COM 3CRWE154G72 Wireless LAN adapter */
         0x10b7, 0x6001,
        /* Intersil PRISM Indigo Wireless LAN adapter */
         0x1260, 0x3877,
        /* Intersil PRISM Javelin/Xbow Wireless LAN adapter */
         0x1260, 0x3886,

Please note that this list may be incomplete - there may be other
vendor and device IDs which the prism54 people are simply unaware
of.  Have a look at drivers/net/wireless/prism54/islpci_hotplug.c
for driver author contact information.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 PCMCIA      - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/