Problem with 16-bit cards on Tecra 530CDT: unable to apply power

Magnus Hyllander mhypub1 at hyllander.org
Tue Aug 10 06:21:15 EDT 2004

Hi,

I have installed Fedora Core 2 on a Toshiba Tecra 530CDT laptop, which
uses a TOPIC95 PCMCIA bridge. I'm trying to get a couple of 16-bit 3Com
cards (3C589D and 3C574TX) to work properly, but keep getting the
following message when I insert one of the cards:

kernel: cs: pcmcia_socket0: unable to apply power

The TOPIC95 BIOS setting is set to "CardBus/16-bit". I also have a
CardBus 3Com card (3C575) which works fine. I have tried both the 2.6.5,
2.6.6 and 2.6.7 kernels distributed with FC2, as well as configured and
compiled 2.6.8-rc3. The same problem exists in all versions. Does anyone
know more about this, or have any help to offer?

Thanks,
Magnus