Can't get 3c589_cs (3CCE589EC) to work in 2.6.5

Dominik Brodowski linux at dominikbrodowski.de
Mon Apr 26 17:49:34 BST 2004

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 04:43:49PM +0300, Tuukka Toivonen wrote:
> When using the working drivers from pcmcia-cs, I get
> - /proc/modules:
> 3c589_cs                8800   1
> ds                      6592   1 [3c589_cs]

This is an indication that the userspace program "cardmgr" from pcmcia-cs
which is -as of now- still needed for in-kernel PCMCIA support is not
running. Try issuing the command "cardmgr" as super-user, and check if the
interface is available then.

> P.S. What is the status of the in-kernel PCMCIA drivers? MAINTAINERS lists
> it as unmaintained. Some files look a bit old (like i82365.c dated 1999...)

Well, not all changes done to the files are marked in the copyright headers,
http://linux.bkbits.net has a better overview of when what changes...
Russell King and some others do currently update the in-kernel PCMCIA _core_
drivers [i.e. ds, pcmcia_core, ...], but not the individual PCMCIA _device
drivers_, e.g. 3c589_cs