AW: [CFT] 2.6.0-test7: Fix use-after-free bug in ds.

David Hinds dhinds at sonic.net
Wed Oct 15 14:23:31 BST 2003

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 03:55:19PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> It's a great simplification in the 2.6 kernels that ds doesn't need
> to be loaded after all socket drivers.  This allows loading more
> drivers after ds.

I don't see why this is a particularly useful thing.

> But the next logical step is to remove the separation between
> pcmcia_core and ds, which is now unnecessary.

The original reason for separation between ds and pcmcia_core was a
conceptual one.  "cs" implemented the core Card Services API's.  The
"ds" module is (or I guess I should say, "was") itself an ordinary
Card Services client driver; it is special only in that it talks to
cardmgr and exports some services to other clients.  It is not
required that a PCMCIA driver use the "ds" API and be managed by
cardmgr.

-- Dave