AW: [CFT] 2.6.0-test7: Fix use-after-free bug in ds.

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Wed Oct 15 16:55:19 BST 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 linux at brodo.de wrote:

> > Working on a patch to combine ds.c with cs.c is too risky, sounds too
> > developmental, and too much like a cleanup.
>
> Of this statement I know of, and that statement is exatly the reason for
> my statement yesterday where I said that now is not the time of large
> development.

Why not?  We are having problems because we have two modules, ds and
yenta_socket (or another socket driver) that can be inserted and removed
in the random order.  So we need to test both the situation when the
socket driver is inserted first and second, compared to ds, and the same
for removal.

Who needs pcmcia_core without ds?  It's not useful, as far as I know.  ds
is just the interface to the PCMCIA/Cardbus subsystem.  pcmcia_core could
have an alias to ds for backward compatibility.  Or if this doesn't work,
ds could be just a dummy or almost dummy.

It's a great simplification in the 2.6 kernels that ds doesn't need to be
loaded after all socket drivers.  This allows loading more drivers after
ds.  But the next logical step is to remove the separation between
pcmcia_core and ds, which is now unnecessary.  If the new initialization
sequence becomes mandatory, it will be better tested and thus more stable.

Maybe it won't fix this particular problem, but it will reduce the
complexity of the code and the amount of testing needed when
initialization and finalization of modules is changed.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin