[RFC] what to do next

Russell King rmk+pcmcia at arm.linux.org.uk
Sun Oct 12 00:09:02 BST 2003

I think "what to do next" is to solve the various bug reports which
keep popping up, as well as actively trying to find bugs.

The latest one (see my [CFT] mail) is pretty serious since it can
cause memory corruption in any other part of the kernel (dependent
on what your workload is.)

I've passed to Pat Mochel the information concerning the annoying device
model restriction which historically kept on causing the deadlocks with
cardbus cards inserted at boot time.  Pat seems willing to tweak the
driver model to allow PCI-like devices to be registered from a PCI
drivers ->probe function.  Once this is done, we can get rid of some of
the fragile work-around code that we're currently carrying - but that's
a job for post-2.6.0.

I really suggest that we try to sort some of this stuff out and make
the core more robust before we start adding more driver model code to
PCMCIA.

--
Russell King (rmk at arm.linux.org.uk)	http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/personal/
      maintainer of:  2.6 PCMCIA      - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/