PCMCIA can't be probed during kernel loading????

linux at brodo.de linux at brodo.de
Thu Jul 10 16:36:38 BST 2003

> On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 08:06:48PM -0700, Yang Yang wrote:
> > 	I mean should the kernel be able to find the card itself and set it
> > 	up , or does it need some user application ( like cardmgr ) to do it
> > 	?
>
> Correct.

At least for the moment, yes. But I'm trying to change that for 2.5. or
2.6. or 2.7. Some userspace input will still be needed for most setups,
though.

> >	if it's the latter case, basically means it's impossible to run a
> > 	diskless station over NFS with only PCMCIA network card?
>
> Also correct.  However, you could use an initial ramdisk and load
cardmgr
> from there, configure the interface and mount the real root filesystem
> that way.

Currently, yes. Nonetheless it should become possible soon. Yang, are you
willing to test 2.5. patches? If so, please send me a lspci -vv of the
Dell inspiron.

Many thanks,