[Linux-parport] A largely uninformed user with need that partains to parallel port use in Linux

Jason Dodge ncc1941 at ymail.com
Sun Apr 26 00:59:10 EDT 2009

Hi

I know that I don't have knowledge of this subject that even compares to what you seem to posses (I don't even understand most of what is said here), but I have need of assistance, and I was directed this way by someone who said that you may be able to help.

If this is the wrong place for such things, I apologize now, and you have no need to read further. In the event that I am in the right place, however, allow me to continue.

My problem, put simply, is this:
I have need to access the external 20MB HDD that was connected to a 1986 Macintosh, the drive connecting to the computer via a parallel port. I have gone to support chats and forums, and have thus far been unable to find assistance.

Here is what I currently know about the HDD:
The device type number appears to be H0030, based on a small sticker over the I/O switch which offers no context whatsoever about what the number is referring to. The serial number is 3236, if that helps. I think that the drive has a 20MB capacity, although I am not certain of this.

My computer is running Linux Mint 6, if that is in any way relevant. It has one parallel port, which the drive is currently plugged in to.

I'm sure you'll need more information than that, but you'll have to tell me what you need and how to find out.

All I want to do is access the information on the drive, and copy it to a safe place on one of my newer drives. The information is highly valuable to me.

Again, if this is the wrong place for such things, I apologize for wasting your time. But I was told that you could help, so I thought it worth my time to send this message.

Thank you.