[Linux-parport] Simple Direct-IO

Al Hooton al at hootons.org
Tue Jun 20 21:40:25 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 12:14 -0400, Eric O'Neal wrote:
> Heya;
>
> I'm a more-or-less novice programmer, and I thought I'd tinker around
> with parallel/serial port use.  All I'd really like to do is something
> very simple, setting the pegs individually to "on" or "off," etc, much
> as shown in this Windows inpout32.dll-utilizing program:
> http://www.programmersheaven.com/search/download.asp?FileID=46877.

	Check out this package -- it has different personalities, that can run
in either user space and/or kernel space, and turns the parallel port in
to a general purpose I/O port (within hardware limitations):

	http://parapin.sf.net/

Disclaimer -- I'm the lead maintainer, although there's not much to do
at the moment, it's pretty stable.  There is some good work by a fellow
developer for the project on a Python language binding I still need to
package up in to a release sometime (I'm really behind on that), but the
code is quite ready to use from either C or Python programs.  If you
need the Python support you'll need to get that out of CVS.

-Al