[Linux-parport] Simple Direct-IO

Chris Fisichella chris at communityrenewables.com
Tue Jun 20 20:52:55 EDT 2006

>Heya;
>
>I'm a more-or-less novice programmer, and I thought I'd tinker
>around with parallel/serial port use.  All I'd really like to do is
>something very simple, setting the pegs individually to "on" or
>"off," etc, much as shown in this Windows inpout32.dll-utilizing
>program:
><http://www.programmersheaven.com/search/download.asp?FileID=46877>http://www.programmersheaven.com/search/download.asp?FileID=46877
>.
>
>I've Googled around, and have learned enough to know that Direct-IO
>requires a kernel driver.  But now I'm stuck, and I seem to beunable
>to further learn from Google.
>
>If I were to try and make a Linux app similar to the above mentioned
>Windows app, how would I go about doing it?
>
>SigmaX

Are you writing a C program? If so, I would suggest you Check out Tim
Waugh's documentation on the Linux 2.4 Parallel  Port Subsystem. I
got my copy at:
people.redhat.com/twaugh/par port /par port book.pdf

In a fairly short amount of time, I was flicking bits and things like
that. It was nice to see my Linux already had a parport driver ready
to service my calls. Your mileage my vary.

The code was like:

open(

io_ctl this,
io_ctl that,