[Linux-parport] Hp 5100c not recognized

marco pisciu at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 14:52:16 EST 2006

>On my system, if the BIOS is set to use EPP mode, it takes
>about an /hour/ for modprobe epst to finish.
>
>It may be worth trying turning on the scanner, modprobe
>epst, wait an hour and then check!
>
>It's also worth trying switching the mode in the BIOS setup
>screen and see if it makes any difference.
>
> Jón> Maybe could i have the same problem? How can i do to know?

I tried to switch the BIOS parport mode from EPP (that give me the correct compatibility for EPP with cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/modes)
to ECP & EPP mode that give me the sequent result:

~$ cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/modes
PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP,DMA

that seems wasn't compatible with EPP mode, but when i trie to load the esp module with

~$ modprobe esp

i could see in the dmesg log this message:

[4294719.954000] epst.0: epst 0.92 (0.92), Shuttle EPST at 0x378 mode 2 (PS/2) dly 1 nice 0 sg 16
[4294719.954000] scsi0 : epst
[4294719.998000]   Vendor: HP        Model: C5190A            Rev: 3740
[4294719.998000]   Type:   Processor                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02
[4294720.009000] Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type 3

that talk to me that the scanner was succesfully detected!!

After have changed the permission of the scanner i succesfully detected the scanner with sane-find-scanner!!!

thanks a lot for the help!!!

Marco