[Linux-parport] Hp 5100c not recognized

J Fairbairn jonf.parport at mailnull.com
Fri Jan 6 16:57:27 EST 2006

On 2006-01-06 at 20:47+0100 Marco Pagliari wrote:
> 2006/1/6, J Fairbairn <jonf.parport at mailnull.com>:
> > Did anything appear in sysfs (/sys/bus/scsi/devices/* here)?
>

>  the directory is empty

Hmmm. I'm getting a bit out of my depth here. How about

   ls /proc/scsi/

after loading epst I get:

   device_info  epst/  scsi  sg/

and

   cat /proc/scsi/scsi

gives

   Host: scsi5 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
     Vendor: HP       Model: C5190A           Rev: 3740
     Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02

also

   cat /proc/scsi/epst/5

(replace the 5 with the appropriate number) gives

   ident:           epst 0.92 (0.92), Shuttle EPST
   base port:       0x378
   mode:            2
   mode name:          PS/2
   delay:           1
   nice:            0
   verbose:         2
   quiet:           0
   tot_cmds:        24
   tot_bytes:       864
   tot_errs:        0
   parport device: parport0
   claimed:           0

(for some reason EPP mode doesn't work well on my hardware).

> I  created the  30-scanner.rules file and insert in the /etc/modules file
> the scsi_mod, sg, parport, parport_pc, ppscsi and epst modules but (also
> after a reboot) nothing has changed.

I wouldn't expect that to help until the other stuff is
working.

> - This my dmesg log: (its too long and i posted to this link, but if you
> want i can post it in to the mail)
>
>          http://www.nomorepasting.com/paste.php?pasteID=55512
>
> i wish we could find where is the problem.

It might help to use

  modprobe epst verbose=1

and see what is logged then, but I'm not up to speed on this.

  Jón

Jón Fairbairn                              Jon.Fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk