[Linux-parport] External IDE HDD drive

John Mims mimsall at lineone.net
Fri Nov 11 09:36:50 EST 2005

Thanks to the article "Linux and parallel port IDE devices", I have
managed to get my Datawise Quickdrive external HDD working in Red Hat 9.
Despite being a complete newcomer to Linux, following the advice given,
I found that

insmod paride
insmod epat
insmod pd drive0=0x378
mount /dev/pda2 /backup

works perfectly (the HDD in the Quickdrive has 2 partitions, and
'backup' is the directory).

One question, though. The mounted partition is formatted in FAT32, so
how come Red Hat was happy to mount it without the "-t vfat" phrase?

Thanks again
John