[Linux-parport] hardware ECP reads

Malcolm Blaney malcolm.blaney at maptek.com.au
Wed Dec 14 19:03:03 EST 2005

Hi Mike,

You're right that the kernel can't do full-speed ECP reads. That doesn't
mean you can't read from an ECP enabled parallel port though, since I'm
  pretty sure it drops back to a compatible mode and the bandwidth you
get is just less.

The company I work for has modified the parport_pc driver for a 2.4.18
kernel to make full use of ECP though, so if your interested in working
on the driver I might be able to pass on the code. Most of it is already
there as it's very similar to the ECP write code which does what you want.

Malcolm.