[Linux-parport] Kernel & libieee1284 report BIOS ECP mode as EPP

Eddy De Greef edg1 at tiscali.be
Wed Sep 29 17:52:22 EDT 2004

On 29-09-04 02:20:32 vdb128 at picaros.org wrote:
> > on my PC, when the parallel port is set to (only) ECP mode in the
> Perhaps report the motherboard spec, parport chipset, PCI ID ?

It's a Medion 8080XL (Aldi PC). There's no brand on the motherboard,
but I've read somewhere that it's an MSI board. I have no idea what
parport chipset it uses (the manual mentions Intel Springdale-865PE
and Intel ICH5 chipsets, but that's probably not what you are
interested in). How can I find the PCI ID?

> EPP is detected by verifying the timeout bit in the Data Status
> Register.
> A lot of chipsets always honour its working in EPP mode whether or
> not EPP is enabled in the BIOS.  This is not true for its
> functionality though, f.e. HALTing the bus for data transfer may be
> disabled.  A slow device will then block since the parport is not
> waiting for cycle completion.
>
> > Is there any chance that this will get solved?
> You might try the patch
> http://picaros.org/ftp/key/parporta-2.4.23.diff
> and report the output with 'verbose_probing=1'.

No luck, the scanner driver still hangs.
This is what dmesg reports:

ppdev: user-space parallel port driver
parport_ECR_present(@3bc): ok=-1
parport_SPP_supported(@3bc): dsr=0xff ok=0
parport_ECR_present(@378): ok=1
parport_SPP_supported(@378): dsr=0x8f ok=1
parport_EPP_supported(parport0): result=1
parport_PS2_supported(parport0): ok=2
programmable_irq_support(parport0): irq=7
parport0: irq 7 detected
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irqshare 7<7>0x378: FIFO is 16
bytes
0x378: writeIntrThreshold is 9
0x378: readIntrThreshold is 9
0x378: PWord is 8 bits
0x378: Interrupts are ISA-Pulses
0x378: ECP port cfgA=0x10 cfgB=0x48
0x378: ECP settings irq=7 dma=<none or set by other means>
 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
parport_ECR_present(@278): ok=-1
parport_SPP_supported(@278): dsr=0xff ok=0
ppdev0: registered pardevice