[Linux-parport] open("/dev/parport", O_RDWR) results in "no such device"

christoph_meissner at idg.de christoph_meissner at idg.de
Tue Feb 17 13:05:51 GMT 2004

Hello to all parport list-members

as ill luck would have it
I am trying to configure my parport for a linux-2.4.24 kernel.

Expecting everything is easy,
I adequately set up my BIOS and kernel configuration
and loaded the modules parport and parport_pc.
Hopefully I opened the /dev/parport0 device-file
with a little perl-skript
and it happened exactly as I expected: nothing worked.

The message I receive when opening the device file is: "No such device."

My configururation and steps to achieve a valid parport-open are listed
below.

It would be great,
if anyone can assist me trouble-shooting this.

Christoph

This is how I opened the device
after loading the appropriate modules (see below).

root> perl
open(IN, "+</dev/parport0") || die "/dev/parport0: $!\n";

results in:

/dev/parport0: No such device

This is my configuration:

Motherboard: Asus P4P800

BIOS settings:
parallel-mode     Bidirectional
Address           0x378
IRQ               7

root> cd /usr/src/linux
root> grep PARPORT .config

CONFIG_PARPORT=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_CML1=m
# CONFIG_PARPORT_SERIAL is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_AMIGA is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_MFC3 is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_ATARI is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_GSC is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_SUNBPP is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_OTHER is not set
CONFIG_PARPORT_1284=y

root> insmod parport
root> insmod parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7 dma=none

root> lsmod
parport_pc             16100   0
parport                27848   0  [parport_pc]

root> dmesg | grep parport
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
parport0: irq 7 detected

root> ls -l /dev/parport0
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root      99,   0 Feb 16 10:21 /dev/parport0