[Linux-parport] Re: parport freezes system

C. Linus Hicks lhicks at nc.rr.com
Sun Feb 15 13:09:53 GMT 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-15 at 10:09, Andreas Fatum wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've read your post on the parport-mailinglist and I do
> have the same problem with a Tyan Thunder 2500 (S1867),
> Serverworks III HE-chipset.
>
> Do you have found any solution so far? (I have no
> chance of any BIOS upgrade as well because Tyan
> has stopped support for that board :-(
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

I have not found a solution, but I have not been unable to devote much
time to it because of my work schedule.

There are a couple of things that come to me, but they are not very easy
to do. Both require making changes to the number 1 CD and burning a new
one.

One is to modify how the module gets loaded to add io port and irq
settings, but it looks like that might be done in the init program Red
Hat customized for their installer kernel and I have not found the
source for it yet. If that alteration is feasible, one could also simply
disable loading the module, although that might cause a failure later on
in the install process when it goes looking for devices attached to the
parallel port.

The other thing is to get someone to actually make a fix for the
parport_pc driver in the appropriate version, and just replace the
binary module in the image on the CD. This would actually be the easier
one to implement, it just requires someone who knows the driver code to
figure out a fix.

I will continue my research as I have time and let you know what
progress I make, and could you please let me know if you have any
success?

Perhaps now that there are at least two known motherboards with this
problem, someone will be willing to look at a solution in the driver.

FYI, if anyone is wondering, my motherboard has Serverworks HE-SL
chipset, a Tyan S2567.

--
C. Linus Hicks <lhicks at nc.rr.com>