[Linux-parport] Re: [PARPORT] redhat 7.1 backpack rewriter

Stephen Mollett molletts at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 22 17:34:35 GMT 2003

On Monday 22 December 2003 03:20, Shawn Koons wrote:
> Question: is there any way to automate this process or will I have to
> type the insmod commands in whenever I start the computer?

You could have the system autload the modules when you use the CD. Add some
lines to your /etc/modules.conf like:

alias block-major-46 pcd
below pcd bpck6
alias char-major-97 pg
below pg bpck6

then run "depmod -ae" to update dependencies (otherwise modprobe will complain
every time it's used).

That way, the modules ought to be loaded automagically when you attempt to
access /dev/pcd0 or /dev/pg0. (This is based on my setup with an epat-based
parallel port disk.)

Regards,
Stephen