[LSF/MM/BFP ATTEND] [LSF/MM/BFP TOPIC] Storage: Copy Offload

Javier González javier at javigon.com
Wed Nov 17 04:53:49 PST 2021

On 16.11.2021 09:59, Bart Van Assche wrote:
>On 11/16/21 05:43, Javier González wrote:
>>             - Here, we need copy emulation to support encryption
>>without dealing with HW issues and garbage
>
>Hi Javier,
>
>Thanks very much for having taken notes and also for having shared
>these.

My pleasure. Thanks for attending. Happy to see this moving.

>Regarding the above comment, after the meeting I learned that
>the above is not correct. Encryption in Android is LBA independent and
>hence it should be possible to offload F2FS garbage collection in
>Android once the (UFS) storage controller supports this.
>
>For the general case, I propose to let the dm-crypt driver decide
>whether or not to offload data copying since that driver knows whether
>or not data copying can be offloaded.

Thanks for sharing this. We will make sure that DM / MD are supported
and then we can cover examples. Hopefully, you guys can help with the
bits for dm-crypt to make the decision to offload when it make sense.

I will update the notes to keep them alive. Maybe we can have them open
in your github page?