[LSF/MM/BFP ATTEND] [LSF/MM/BFP TOPIC] Storage: Copy Offload

Bart Van Assche bvanassche at acm.org
Tue Nov 16 09:59:37 PST 2021

On 11/16/21 05:43, Javier González wrote:
>              - Here, we need copy emulation to support encryption
> without dealing with HW issues and garbage

Hi Javier,

Thanks very much for having taken notes and also for having shared
these. Regarding the above comment, after the meeting I learned that the
above is not correct. Encryption in Android is LBA independent and hence
it should be possible to offload F2FS garbage collection in Android once
the (UFS) storage controller supports this.

For the general case, I propose to let the dm-crypt driver decide
whether or not to offload data copying since that driver knows whether
or not data copying can be offloaded.

Thanks,

Bart.