vhost/virtio fabric

Roman Shaposhnik rvs at apache.org
Mon Feb 8 23:24:40 EST 2021

Hi!

I'm looking at using NVMe protocol in a KVM virtualization context
along the lines of:
    https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/qemu-devel/patch/1516003315-17878-2-git-send-email-changpeng.liu@intel.com/
but with an eye towards using NVMe-OF so that I can terminate
in the kernel target itself, as opposed to a userland process.

Effectively, I'm looking for vhost/virtio fabric similar to:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/tree/drivers/vhost/scsi.c?h=v5.10.14

This search made me come across an old set of slides from
Christoph Hellwig that did, indeed, mention that at some point
vhost/virtio fabric was considered.

Please let me know if there's any work that has ever been done
in the direction (even if in a form of unmerged patches) or whether
if I need this functionality I'd have to implement it from scratch (probably
aping a great deal of drivers/vhost/scsi.c).

Thanks,
Roman.