nvme-tcp bricks my computer

Sagi Grimberg sagi at grimberg.me
Wed Feb 3 03:05:27 EST 2021

> I'm running "nvme discover" over a TCP connection. The nvme-tcp module freezes completely and bricks my computer.
>
> Steps:
> $ sudo modprobe nvme-tcp
> $ sudo nvme discover -t tcp -a [IP address] -s 8009
> <System Bricked!>
> Only a reboot (Alt-SysRq-B) can recover the system.

Do you have a stack trace to share?

> Conditions to reproduce the problem:
> The Discovery Controller must support sending Discovery Log Change Notifications. That is, bit 31 of the Identity's OAES field returned by the discovery controller must be set to 1. If OAES[31]=0, then everything is OK.

What is the discovery log page returned by the nvme discovery
controller? Does it include referrals? There was an issue fixed
in nvme-cli with respect to referrals (although nothing that is
related to any oaes changes).

> Systems tested:
> 1) Ubuntu 20.04, Linux 5.8, nvme 1.13.21
> 2) Fedora 33, Linux 5.10, nvme 1.11.1

Are these the default kernels that come with the distribution?
Does this happen with the latest upstream?

I know people are doing this for a long time now and no reports
came in on this phenomenon.. I'm assuming this is not Linux nvmet
target correct?