nvme-tcp bricks my computer

Belanger, Martin Martin.Belanger at dell.com
Mon Feb 1 14:04:39 EST 2021

I'm running "nvme discover" over a TCP connection. The nvme-tcp module freezes completely and bricks my computer.

Steps:
$ sudo modprobe nvme-tcp
$ sudo nvme discover -t tcp -a [IP address] -s 8009
<System Bricked!>
Only a reboot (Alt-SysRq-B) can recover the system.

Conditions to reproduce the problem:
The Discovery Controller must support sending Discovery Log Change Notifications. That is, bit 31 of the Identity's OAES field returned by the discovery controller must be set to 1. If OAES[31]=0, then everything is OK.

Systems tested:
1) Ubuntu 20.04, Linux 5.8, nvme 1.13.21
2) Fedora 33, Linux 5.10, nvme 1.11.1

Regards,
Martin