[LSF/MM TOPIC] irq affinity handling for high CPU count machines

Kashyap Desai kashyap.desai at broadcom.com
Mon Jan 29 08:42:09 PST 2018

Ideal scenario is to make sure submitter is interrupted for completion.  It
is not possible to manage via any tuning like rq_affinity=2 (and --exact
irqbalance policy), if we have more # of CPUs than MSI-x vector supported by
controllers. If we use irq poll interface with good amount of weights in irq
poll API, we will no more see CPU lockups because low level driver will quit
ISR routine after each weighted completion. There will be always chance that
we will have back to back pressure on the same CPU for completion, but irq
poll design will manage to run watchdog task and timestamp will updated.
Using irq poll we may see close to 100% CPU consumption, but there will be
no  lockup detection.