[LSF/MM TOPIC][LSF/MM ATTEND] NAPI polling for block drivers

Johannes Thumshirn jthumshirn at suse.de
Thu Jan 19 01:18:33 PST 2017

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 10:23:28AM +0200, Sagi Grimberg wrote:
> Christoph suggest to me once that we can take a hybrid
> approach where we consume a small amount of completions (say 4)
> right away from the interrupt handler and if we have more
> we schedule irq-poll to reap the rest. But back then it
> didn't work better which is not aligned with my observations
> that we consume only 1 completion per interrupt...
>
> I can give it another go... What do people think about it?

This could be good.

What's also possible (see answer to my previous mail) is measuring the time it
takes for a completion to arrive and if the average time is lower than the
context switch time just busy loop insted of waiting for the IRQ to arrive. If
it is higher we can always schedule a timer to hit _before_ the IRQ will
likely arrive and start polling. Is this something that sounds reasonable to
you guys as well?

	Johannes

--
Johannes Thumshirn                                          Storage
jthumshirn at suse.de                                +49 911 74053 689