[SkyHigh Memory SPI NAND Driver]

Miquel Raynal miquel.raynal at bootlin.com
Fri Feb 2 08:11:36 PST 2024

Hi Mohamed,

moh.sardi at skyhighmemory.com wrote on Thu, 1 Feb 2024 19:40:51 +0000:

> Dear Miquel,
> We understand that your plan to turn off the ECC for Bad Block marking and checking... for Linux V6...

No, it's always been like this, I don't think we ever changed that.
Turning ECC on in the raw NAND world was maybe a mistake and was proven
not useful to SPI-NANDs so, it was disabled in the SPI-NAND world from
day 1, AFAIR.

> We also understand that in Linux5.4 the driver did not have ECC control...

Not sure what "driver" means here.

> My question is as follow:
> 1) From which version of Linux ,the ECC control was added in the driver? Was it implemented in Linux 5.xx?

Again, what is "driver"? ECC correction is mandatory for page accesses,
it's always been there.

> 2) What was the leading reason/customer leading to turn off the ECC for bad block marking/checking?
> Note: We saw that MTK was turning off the ECC for Bad block marking on Linux 5.4...

It's not been turned off or on, as I told you in my previous mail.

> 3) We think that the ECC should be turned off for bad block marking and checking, is it possible for us to provide a patch/driver (SHM_core.c) for Linux version version 6...  where SHM devices keep the ECC on...

It is already off in the SPI-NAND world. Sorry if I am not
understanding what you say correctly, but I'll need more precise
information to answer correctly.

Thanks,
Miquèl