[PATCH v4] mtd: spi-nor: fix memory leak when using debugfs_lookup()

Tudor Ambarus tudor.ambarus at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 01:44:21 PDT 2023

On 06.03.2023 13:05, Miquel Raynal wrote:
> Hi Greg,
> gregkh at linuxfoundation.org wrote on Mon, 6 Mar 2023 10:13:33 +0100:
>> On Mon, Mar 06, 2023 at 09:33:36AM +0100, Miquel Raynal wrote:
>>> Hi Greg,
>>> gregkh at linuxfoundation.org wrote on Mon, 6 Mar 2023 07:52:38 +0100:
>>>> On Wed, Feb 08, 2023 at 05:15:41PM +0100, Michael Walle wrote:  
>>>>> Am 2023-02-08 17:02, schrieb Greg Kroah-Hartman:    
>>>>>> When calling debugfs_lookup() the result must have dput() called on it,
>>>>>> otherwise the memory will leak over time.  To solve this, remove the
>>>>>> lookup and create the directory on the first device found, and then
>>>>>> remove it when the module is unloaded.
>>>>>> Cc: Tudor Ambarus <tudor.ambarus at microchip.com>
>>>>>> Cc: Pratyush Yadav <pratyush at kernel.org>
>>>>>> Cc: Michael Walle <michael at walle.cc>
>>>>>> Cc: Miquel Raynal <miquel.raynal at bootlin.com>
>>>>>> Cc: Richard Weinberger <richard at nod.at>
>>>>>> Cc: Vignesh Raghavendra <vigneshr at ti.com>
>>>>>> Cc: linux-mtd at lists.infradead.org
>>>>>> Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh at linuxfoundation.org>    
>>>>> Reviewed-by: Michael Walle <michael at walle.cc>
>>>>> one nit below I didn't notice earlier, no need to send a new
>>>>> patch version just for that.
>>>>> ..
>>>>>> +void spi_nor_debugfs_shutdown(void)
>>>>>> +{
>>>>>> +	if (rootdir)
>>>>>> +		debugfs_remove(rootdir);    
>>>>> debugfs_remove() already has a check for NULL.
>>>> Ah, good catch, I merged this in when I applied it to my tree, thanks!  
>>> Any reasons why you did apply this patch to your tree? It is a spi-nor
>>> fix, I would have expected it to go through mtd.  
>> It's been sitting around for a month, I assumed it was lost, so I picked
>> it up.
> Sorry if it took too long, the merge window also happened during that
> time, we are collecting patches now that 6.3-rc1 has been released.
> Next time don't hesitate to ping first ;-)
>> I can revert it if you don't want me to take it for 6.3-final
>> through my driver core tree.

It's fine, I don't expect other changes on these chunks of code. Anyway,
if there will be merge conflicts I'll solve them locally by merging the
-rc containing the fix.

BTW, you forgot to cc stable and add a fixes tag :).

> I'll let spi-nor maintainers decide what they prefer.

If it'll be a next time, a ping would be better.


More information about the linux-mtd mailing list