[RFC,v4,2/5] mtd: nand: ecc: mtk: Convert to the ECC infrastructure

Miquel Raynal miquel.raynal at bootlin.com
Tue Dec 14 01:47:03 PST 2021

Hi xiangsheng.hou,

xiangsheng.hou at mediatek.com wrote on Tue, 14 Dec 2021 11:32:14 +0800:

> Hi Miquel,
>

> On Mon, 2021-12-13 at 10:29 +0100, Miquel Raynal wrote:
> > Hi Xiangsheng,

> > > Yes, the BBM will at the first OOB area in NAND standard layout
> > > after
> > > BBM swap.
> > >
> > > 0. Differential on-flash data layout
> > >
> > > NAND standard page layout
> > > +------------------------------+------------+
> > >
> > > +------------------------------+------------+
> > >
> > > MTK ECC on-flash page layout (2 section for example)
> > > +------------+--------+------------+--------+
> > >
> > > +------------+--------+------------+--------+
> >
> > I think we are aligned on that part.
> >
> > The BBM is purely a user conception, it is not something wired in the
> > hardware. What I mean is: why do *you* think the BBM should be
> > located
> > in the middle of section #1 ?
>
> Take NAND page 2KB and OOB 64 bytes for example.
>
> For the NAND perspective the BBM is located at OOB #0, the column
> address is 2048 in one page, and this should not only a user
> conception.
>
> No matter what layout, the BBM position need at column 2048(OOB #0).
> Because of the NAND device specification arrange this.
>
> That is, The BBM position of a worn bad block(user mark) need
> consistent with a factory bad block(flash vendor mark).

Yeah actually you're right, I guess the factory bad blocks will be
located at the "wrong" position regarding the engine layout...

Fine for this function.

I'll send today a v5 for the series with a new
helper: nand_ecc_get_engine_dev() (so you don't need to have your own)
as well as a change in the API of spi_mem_generic_supports_op() that
you must use.

Thanks,
Miquèl