[RFC,v4,2/5] mtd: nand: ecc: mtk: Convert to the ECC infrastructure

xiangsheng.hou xiangsheng.hou at mediatek.com
Mon Dec 13 19:32:14 PST 2021

Hi Miquel,

On Mon, 2021-12-13 at 10:29 +0100, Miquel Raynal wrote:
> Hi Xiangsheng,

> > > Can you try to explain this with an ascii schema again? I'm sorry
> > > but
> > > don't follow it. Is the BBM placed in the first bytes of the
> > > first
> > > oob
> > > area by the engine? Or is it place somewhere else?
> > >

> > Yes, the BBM will at the first OOB area in NAND standard layout
> > after
> > BBM swap.
> >
> > 0. Differential on-flash data layout
> >
> > NAND standard page layout
> > +------------------------------+------------+
> > >                              |            |
> > >            main area         |   OOB area |
> > >                              |            |

> > +------------------------------+------------+
> >
> > MTK ECC on-flash page layout (2 section for example)
> > +------------+--------+------------+--------+
> > >            |        |            |        |
> > > section(0) | OOB(0) | section(1) | OOB(1) |
> > >            |        |            |        |

> > +------------+--------+------------+--------+
>
> I think we are aligned on that part.
>
> The BBM is purely a user conception, it is not something wired in the
> hardware. What I mean is: why do *you* think the BBM should be
> located
> in the middle of section #1 ?

Take NAND page 2KB and OOB 64 bytes for example.

For the NAND perspective the BBM is located at OOB #0, the column
address is 2048 in one page, and this should not only a user
conception.

No matter what layout, the BBM position need at column 2048(OOB #0).
Because of the NAND device specification arrange this.

That is, The BBM position of a worn bad block(user mark) need
consistent with a factory bad block(flash vendor mark).

For the MTK ECC engine reorganize data by section in unit.
The step size will be 1024 bytes and the OOB area for each section will
be 32 bytes with NAND page 2KB and OOB 64 bytes.

The on-flash page data lauout for MTK ECC engine,
column 2048 will be main data in the middle of section #1.
+----------------+-------+----------------+-------+
|                |       |                |       |
|     1024B      |  32B  |    1024B       |  32B  |
|                |       |                |       |
+----------------+-------+----------------+-------+

> There is one layout: the layout from the NAND/MTD perspective.
> There is another layout: the layout of your ECC engine.
>
> Just consider that the BBM should be at byte 0 of OOB #0 and you will
> not need any BBM swap operation anymore. I don't understand why you
> absolutely want to put it in section #1.

For the read/write both in OPS_RAW mode, the data layout will be
organized by the ECC engine, no matter how the layout comply with, this
will be workable.

However, it will be chaotic when mix OPS_RAW operation with
OPS_AUTO_OOB/OPS_PLACE_OOB.

That is, the OPS_RAW mode on-flash data layout need comply with
OPS_AUTO_OOB/OPS_PLACE_OOB, this is the reorganize function purpose.

Just take the mtd/tests/nandbiterrs.c for example.
It will write data in OPS_PLACE_OOB mode and rewrite data in OPS_RAW
mode after insert one bitflip. Then read in OPS_PLACE_OOB mode to check
the bitflips.

Thanks
Xiangsheng Hou