WD MyCloud Ex, Armada-370, pxa3xx-nand, marvell-nfc

David Schaefer david.tillmann.schaefer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 16:20:31 EST 2020

Hi Miquèl

> Maybe I should ask you why you are using mtdblock and using dd on top
> of it? If you want to tackle a NAND issue, you should probably  address
> the mtd device directly and use the tools provided by the mtd-utils
> userspace test suite (nandpagetest seems a good fit).
What I am trying to accomplish is running a debian with a kernel more
than 4.15 on a WD MyCloud Ex2. I follow a written down approach that
has been led to success by others. It involves
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock1
dd if=uImage of=/dev/mtdblock1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock2
dd if=uRamdisk of=/dev/mtdblock2

I could use more appropriate ways to deal with these devices if I knew of any.

> You might want to try a much more recent kernel then. Probably that
> using a 5.9 or 5.10 is a good target for now.
I am compiling 5.10 right now and am looking forward to the results. I
have had 5.4 running already with no mtdblock devices showing up.

> I really don't think using -X theirs blindly is wise, you should
> definitely try to understand the conflict and merge it by hand.
I tried but didn't feel to be in the position to make the call.
Anyhow, since I have seen the commits are all part of kernels 4.17,
4.20, 5.0, and 5.10 this will not be an issue now when I run 5.10.

> > - marvell-nfc f10d0000.nand: Timeout waiting for RB signal
> This one is a real error but got fixed by another commit.
> > - print_req_error: I/O error, dev mtdblock6, sector 0
> > print_req_error: I/O error, dev mtdblock6, sector 0
> > print_req_error: I/O error, dev mtdblock6, sector 0
> > print_req_error: I/O error, dev mtdblock5, sector 0
> > print_req_error: I/O error, dev mtdblock5, sector 0
> > print_req_error: I/O error, dev mtdblock5, sector 0
> > print_req_error: I/O error, dev mtdblock4, sector 0
> > print_req_error: I/O error, dev mtdblock4, sector 0
> > print_req_error: I/O error, dev mtdblock4, sector 0
> > print_req_error: I/O error, dev mtdblock3, sector 0
> This one seem related but I don't know from where it comes.
> > dd: writing '/dev/mtdblock1': Input/output error
I will check if I see these issues with 5.10 when it's built.

> > Please advise me if I did
> > anything wrong or you need any more information.
> Good luck :)
Thanks :)

Kind regards
David